Sunday, November 07, 2010

All Saints Day: Remembering Clare of Assisi


Last year, in remembrance of this day, I focused on the Martyrs of Compiègne, 16 Carmelite nuns who were guillotined ten days before the end of the French Revolution. I  meditated on the moving finale of Poulenc's opera, Dialogues of the Carmelites.  This year I am being drawn to Clare of Assisi. Here is the third movement, "The Matins of St. Clare," from Ottorino Respighi's Church Windows. As I watch and listen, I am reflecting  on this quote:

"We become what we love and who we love shapes what we become. If we love things, we become a thing. If we love nothing, we become nothing. Imitation is not a literal mimicking of Christ, rather it means becoming the image of the beloved, an image disclosed through transformation. This means... we are to become vessels of God´s compassionate love for others. "


~ St. Clare of Assisi


No comments: