Wednesday, October 28, 2009

All Saint's Day and the Martyrs of Compiègne


This Sunday many Christians in the West will celebrate All Saint's Day. It is the one holy day of the Church year that I am certain will never be usurped by the market. I love the way the bonds of time and space are dissolved at the Table, so that for a brief while there is no separation between those who have gone ahead of us and ourselves. All Saint's Day is an extra reminder of the width and length of the Table to which Christ has invited us, and that many who will be our dinner companions have been faithful unto death.

Among them are the Martyrs of Compiègne , 16 Carmelite nuns who were guillotined ten days before the end of the Reign of Terror. Francis Poulenc tells their story in his moving opera, Dialogues of the Carmelites.

Here is the final scene, where the nuns go to their death, singing the Salve Regina. Listen how one by one their voices drop, until at the end only Sister Blanche is left. She has returned to join her sisters, and sings the final verse of the Veni Creator Spiritus until cut short:

Deo Patri sit gloria, et Filio,
qui a mortuis surrexit,
ac Paraclito,
in saeculorum saecula. Amen.

Now to the Father and the Son,
Who rose from death, be glory given,
with Thou, O Holy Comforter,
henceforth by all in earth and heaven. Amen.
I don't think there will ever be a more brilliant staging of this opera than the old Met production, which leaves us with the image of the Place de la Revolution transformed into the Cross.

"The first time I saw this opera full staged was recently (April 09). I had to carefully pace my breathing the last four minutes-- if I hadn't, I would have sobbed out loud. The woman sitting next to me, a complete stranger, and I gripped hands during the entire execution scene." monteverdi1567

"My university is performing this, and I'm working as an usher. I sat in on the show for the first time last night. I hardly ever cry at things, but I cried during this final scene... It's so powerful. I didn't think I would cry, but I after I visibly flinched at the first guillotine sound, I couldn't hold back. Then when it ended, I had to sit for a moment and compose myself before going to the door to say good night to the audience as they walked out." honestguitarist

So on Sunday, I will remember and give thanks for these Carmelites, and for the nameless others of whom the world has not been worthy.

O blest communion, fellowship divine!
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
All are one in Thee, for all are Thine.
Alleluia, Alleluia

No comments: