Monday, October 22, 2018

How we view God determines how we vote

Doug Pagitt see something I have also noted in relation to George Lakoff's thought.  In his "Moral Politics,"   Lakoff argues  that one group of Americans works from a "Strict Father" model, and another group works from a "Nurturant Parent" model. I take this one step further, and note how this actually reflects two different ways to understand God. ISTM that most American evangelicals hold the "Strict Father" model, and so are more susceptible to the Trump/Republican/authoritarian/hierarchical way of understanding the world. But there are Christians who understand God as our "Nuturant Parent, " that is, one whose essence is love, not wrath. So, with Pagitt, I ask: "Will we continue to vote out of fear of God’s wrath, or will we turn a corner and vote to spread God’s love for all people?"

Evangelicals are paying high moral price for anti-abortion gains. What would Jesus do?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/10/21/donald-trump-abortion-cost-evangelicals-moral-high-ground-column/1686348002/?fbclid=IwAR2CQ4J5G3pUXHZy6Z9RDkMZ9M6qu67MoL9_uf2JFAsNYu7xcKBvI0-OkbU

"...So often in our country Christian faith implies Republicanism, but I want to challenge the idea that faith is partisan. My faith does not call me to be Republican or Democrat. My faith calls me to love God and love my neighbor as I love myself. I am called to vote for the common good, for justice and humanity.
With the midterms just a couple of weeks away, we face a critical juncture in our country: restore some power to those who would govern with compassion, or continue ceding moral ground for the sake of abortion. Will we continue to vote out of fear of God’s wrath, or will we turn a corner and vote to spread God’s love for all people?
In such a time as this, evangelicals are called to dislodge control of Congress from Republicans who have abandoned our values. The Good News of God compels us to use our vote as a tool for the common good of all people, for if good is not accessible and common to all, it is not good; it is privilege."

No comments: