Monday, November 20, 2017

Church and State: Bees and Beekeepers

My friend Lois Johnson has given a brilliant metaphor for the relation of church and state: 


*****
I am only saying all of this in regards to American democracy. I do not see this as a universal statement about the relation of the Church to government structures. Also, I am aware that those who are not religious may find this still objectionable, and I can only offer myself as an example of how this ought to work. I hope I'm not too scary. Finally, I do worry that the "wall of separation" makes people think they're supposed to leave their Christianity behind when they step into the voting booth or even run for office. No, no. No, no, no. If there's a "wall," it should be the "boundary" of identity. Identity, though, is made in relationship, and that's good, unless it isn't, and you're in a relationship with a narcissistic mad man bent on consuming you.>

No comments: