Friday, May 02, 2008

Ways God Shows Up


Our brother in Christ, Ultra Rev has a report of amazing things happening in Lakeland.

Steve Hickey justifiably wonders: "Before you judge what is unfolding in Florida, ask yourself this question… what will it look like when God shows up?"

Well, God is certainly able to show up however He wants. A couple of His preferred ways is through Word and Sacrament. Peter Kreeft lists 11 more ways here. It seems to me that Hickey is ignoring all these ways God is already showing up, and that troubles me. Am I being too judgemental? Am I wrong to be bothered?

I teach at a Pentecostal Bible college, so it's not like I'm new to any of this. I'm told that when people fall down in chapel and speaking "in tongues" that that is also a way that God is showing up. Nothing would please me more than to have the Lord "show up" and heal our friend A. from the cancer that has riddled every part of her body!

The problem is, though, that if He does, her husband will become a follower of Magic Jesus. They come from another culture that is heavy into "bargaining" with God, rather than receiving from Him. The husband wants a god that he can manipulate; a faith that he can wear as an amulet. His hope is centered on this life, this world, on material things.

There is nothing--not even Jesus--that is more important to him than his wife. He will believe anything, do anything, sacrifice anything to anyone or for any object that will heal A. Aslan or Tash, Jesus or Allah or Buddha or Donald Trump--it's all the same to him, if they'll give him what he most desires.

Doesn't this make a difference?

It's this very attitude that makes Hank Hannagraff's concern mine as well:

He says participants leave believing they are truly healed, but back in the real world, they find nothing has changed. "That's when they start thinking God has abandoned them or doesn't love them," Hanegraaff said.

I'm doing a lot of wondering these days.

What will happen if A. is not healed? Will X be going with Momma D. and me to wash A's body, so that she will not have to be touched by strangers? (That was the thing that bothered her most about dying, next to not being there for her little son, M.) Where will X be for M, after his mother is gone?

And furthermore: has God not been showing up for the past year as Steve and I (and others) have been visiting, praying, reading, and singing with A.? Have we just been spinning our wheels? Did we pray the "wrong" way, so that our prayers for healing weren't heard? Did we not have enough faith? Was God unable to heal A. as long as she was under the care of doctors? Is what a charismatic evangelist (who blew through town) said to A. months ago true, that her first baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit wasn't enough; that she needed to be "completed" and receive a second baptism in the Spirit?

Steve Hickey wants the power.

A. and I want Jesus. And His Father. And His Spirit.

Please continue to pray with me that H. will, too.

Take the world, but give me Jesus,
All its joys are but a name;
But His love abideth ever,
Through eternal years the same.

Refrain

Oh, the height and depth of mercy!
Oh, the length and breadth of love!
Oh, the fullness of redemption,
Pledge of endless life above!

Take the world, but give me Jesus,
Sweetest comfort of my soul;
With my Savior watching o’er me,
I can sing though billows roll.

Refrain

Take the world, but give me Jesus,
Let me view His constant smile;
Then throughout my pilgrim journey
Light will cheer me all the while.

Refrain

Take the world, but give me Jesus.
In His cross my trust shall be,
Till, with clearer, brighter vision,
Face to face my Lord I see.

Refrain

1 comment:

Dan said...

It may be a small thing, but a clue just the same. . .that if you go to the Fresh Fire webpage, emblazoned right across the center is a call to "partner with" them by sending them cash. That usually tells me it's not so much about the Lord, and more about mammon.