Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Yesterday the Mormons Came Wearing Skirts

Yesterday the Mormons made the rounds in our neighborhood. But this time they wore skirts, and I was taken aback. This is the first time I've ever seen female Mormon missionaries. Apparantly there has been another new revelation permitting women to go out, but they must be 21. (Males go on their two year mission when they are 18).

As is my practice with all door-to-door religious witnesses, I invited them in, but of course I didn't offer coffee! They did get some wonderful home-made baklava. It's my way of being hospitable and also keeping them occupied, so that at least for a brief period of time they aren't able to convert anyone.
I give Mormon missionaries lots of credit for making the cold calls and putting their beliefs out there; but when it comes to "giving a reason for the hope that is within them" it always boils down to the utterly sincere and overwhelming feeling that God has spoken in the Book of Mormon, and that Joseph Smith is His prophet. After small talk, we had the usual chat yesterday:

Me: So, what if I deeply and wholly feel that God has spoken in the Koran, and that Mohammed is His prophet? What reason should I have to consider becoming a Mormon?

Them:
Well, you just have to open your heart and pray for the Holy Spirit to show you the truth.

Me:
What if I was searching for some sort of faith, and when I did that and I felt God was calling me to Islam, instead of Mormonism? Feelings are important, but is that all there is?

Them:
Oh no! There's God's word! The Bible, the Book of Mormon! Once you read it you'll see.

Me:
I have read it, and I didn't see.

Them:
That's because you weren't reading it the right way. You need to be open to the truth!

Me:
This is rather circular reasoning, isn't it? What if I was sincerely open, asking God to lead me to the truth; and then I read both the Koran and the BoM. Then once I finished, I felt drawn to the Koran? Are you now saying I shouldn't trust my feelings?

Them: No, no!! Maybe you could make your decision on character...look at the kind of persons Mormons compared to the kind of persons Moslems are.

Me: Hmmm. That's promising. But right now I know a Moslem fellow, a Sayed, whose wife is dying of cancer. He is the most compassionate, sacrificial, loving person I think I may have ever met. I hate to admit it, but honestly, he is putting me and other Christians to shame. Does that mean I should convert to Islam?

Them: No, no! But don't you want to be with your family for all eternity?

Me: Sure, but I don't have to be a Mormon for that to happen. In fact, when I was baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, I was born into a much larger family than just the Bilynskyj or Tichacek clan. Now anyone, from any time, who trusts Jesus Christ as Lord and lives in relationship with Him is my brother and my sister, my mother and my father.

Them: But don't you want to be with your family?

Me:
Of course I do...but I don't want to be with my family only. I want to be with God--Father, Son and Holy Spirit--because if I have Him, I have everything; what more could I desire?

Them:
But if you want that you have to be in the celestial kingdom, and to do that you have to accept the teachings of the book of Mormon and live faithfully according to them!

Me:
And what is this "celestial kingdom?" Where is that written?

Them:
It is part of the revelation given to Joseph Smith--

Me:
Aha. So we are back to accepting his revelation in order to accept his revelation. No thanks, I'll stick with what revelation I've already got.

Them: Oh dear, it's five o'clock, and we have an appointment we need to be at...

Me: That's too bad. Thanks so much for coming! Here, have some baklava to take with you. Can I pray for you before you leave?
L
ater on
, Steve said, "I wonder what mark they've put on the sidewalk to warn others not to come near this place." Funny. I thought the baklava was wonderful. ; )

No comments: