Monday, September 24, 2007

Podcast or print? Aural vs. visual learning


There is a lot of stuff I'd love to be exposed to, but I'm a visual learner, and I don't multitask very well when it comes to learning. If something is on a podcast, then I'm pretty well excluded from it. I don't have an I-pod, and even if I did, I don't have the time to devote to listening to a talk, or the multitasking skills to be able to pay attention to it and something else at once.

If something is in print, I can skim it in no time, and take in the salient points. I can slow down and chew on meaty ideas. I even have enough of a visual memory to be able to somewhat "copy" it so that I can eventually access it. ("Hmm, I think it was on the righthand top page, where he was talking about X...")

Now I can appreciate what it must have been like for those kids I was with in school who couldn't read. Podcasting and YouTube are reducing me to a kind of illiteracy when it comes to gaining information. What I need is a kind of reverse talking books program, that will take aural material and put it into print!

No comments: