Thursday, April 08, 2010

Spiritual midwifery



Priest: This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to his supper.

All: Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.

------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday one of my most gifted students wrote to tell me he has made the journey from the Disciples of Christ to the Episcopalians to the Catholic Church. He was received and confirmed last Saturday at the Easter Vigil.

------------------------------------------

Socrates: And have you never heard, simpleton, that I am the son of a midwife, brave and burly, whose name was Phaenarete?

Theaetetus: Yes, I have.

Socrates: And that I myself practice midwifery?

Theaetetus: No, never.

Socrates: Well, my art of midwifery is in most respects like theirs; but differs, in that I attend men and not women, and I look after their souls when they are in labor, and not after their bodies: and the triumph of my art is in thoroughly examining whether the thought which the mind of the young man brings forth is a false idol or a noble and true birth. And like the midwives, I am barren, and the reproach which is often made against me, that I ask questions of others and have not the wit to answer them myself, is very just -- the reason is, that the god compels me to be a midwife, but does not allow me to bring forth. And therefore I am not myself at all wise, nor have I anything to show which is the invention or birth of my own soul, but those who converse with me profit...


----------------------------------------------
Father, bless N. as he continues his graduate studies at Berkeley. May the Lord sharpen his mind, deepen his faith, and increase his love for Him and all that He has created, as N. follows Christ across the Tiber.

No comments: