Saturday, January 17, 2009

Meditation for Worship: January 18, 2009

------------------------------------------------------Cassatt, "The Maternal Kiss"

Readings for Second Sunday after Epiphany:
Psalm 139:1-18;I Samuel 3:1-20; John 1:43-51;
1 Corinthians 6:12-20

Tonight, as I think about writing the meditation for tomorrow's worship, I am trying to find a way to concentrate what I wrote for Psalm 139 here. Here's the best I can do:

Fetus Freedom

The story once started, “In the beginning, God…”
Now it starts, “I feel. I want.”
Lord, we live in times that are out of joint.

Just as the fetus develops physically in the womb,
so we develop physically and spiritually in the world.
And you, Lord, watch over it all.
Your boundaries offer protection, not limitation.
Those of us who know your grace and mercy don’t feel hemmed in or stunted.
We are Your people, the sheep of Your pasture.

But all around us are siren voices:
“Break free! Do it your way! Autonomy is the highest good!”
I think, “I will not surely die. My eyes will be opened, and I will be god.”
And before long, your pasture seems confining; I long for the grass beyond.
I despise the flock;
I am too good to be a sheep; I want to be whatever I want to be.
I am my own!

Oh Father,

use the Spirit’s rod and staff to restore me.
Remind us how you did not abhor the virgin’s womb,
But made yourself small so that we could be born and mature in You.

Take us in your arms, and whisper to us, "you are not your own; you are Mine!"

O Lord, in Thee have we have trusted:
Let us never be confounded.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Beth. This is beautiful (as is the other post you linked to). I wish I could have heard you read it. Dare I say, Charles Williams would have liked it, too?