Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hurley's Mom: Confession of Faith?


I'm intrigued by Hurley's mom. She's certainly no saint, but she has raised Hurley not to lie. This has caused him much grief, but will it be the key to his redemption? With all the crucifixes that surround her, is the show wanting us to get the message that she is a woman of faith?

Last night on Lost, Hurley confesses to her that the Oceanic Six all agreed to lie about the other survivors. He tells her the whole story. She says, "I believe you. I don't understand you, but I believe you." Is this a picture of Mark 9:24?

Think of all the other positions she could have taken. She could have said,

1) I believe so I can understand.
2) I don't believe, so I don't understand.
3) I believe so I don't need to understand.
4) I don't need to believe because I understand.

Where would you say you are?

No comments: