Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What if? Doxologies for Other Worldviews


I've been having a grand time reading Sire's The Universe Next Door: A Catalog of Worldviews with my Intro to Philosophy class at Eugene Bible College.

To help my students solidify some possibile worldviews, I've written the following verses, to be sung to the
Old 100th, aka "All People that on Earth Do Dwell."

The (familiar) Christian Theist Doxology:
Praise God from whom all blessings flow
Praise Him all creatures here below,
Praise Him above ye heavenly host.
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
--Amen.
The Modernist Doxology

Praise Nature from which Reason flows!
Whatever is, is right, it shows.
By Reason we all things control.
Cause and effect let us extol!
--Uniformity
The Nihilist Doxology

There is no truth. Nothing is real.
Meaninglessness is all I feel.
No need to take another breath
The only way out comes by death.

--Absurd!
The Existentialist Doxology

Praise me because I am so great!
All values are mine to create,
as well as what is real and true.
I have no other hell but you.
--Autonomy.





The Postmodernist Doxology

There’s no one metanarrative;
Perspectives are all relative. 
All language is a power play.
Deconstruct everything I say!
--Power!!!

1 comment:

Dan said...

Totally unrelated, but I took Dale Kuehne's seminar at Midwinter a couple days ago. He was working on the philosophical shifts that took us from being communal people to radical individuals all out to fulfill our own wishes and desires. At break I walked up and said "Beth Bilynskyj is always talking about nominalism. Is that the same thing?" He broke into a broad smile and said you were his good friend, and yes, it was all essentially the same thing. It was an excellent seminar, btw, and helped me figure out some of the larger ramifications of all that you've been writing against.