Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Thoughts on Revelation 21


I have a slightly different way of interpreting Rev. 21, thanks to Dr. Stephen Bouma-Prediger of Hope College. The "new" in verses 1 and 2 isn't naios, the Greek word that would have been used to mean something absolutely, brand-spanking new, the result of completely starting over. Rather, it is kainos, which is used to refer to a thing which has been changed in the sense of "renewed," but not destroyed.

So as you can see I don't agree with the current Evangelical dispensationalist interpretation of John's vision. The images of fire in Malachi and Revelation seem to me to speak of a dramatic and dreadful refining/purifying rather than a total destruction, so that what God created and called good is finally "cleaned up," healed and restored to His original design.

This is important to me because I am fascinated by premodern philosophy (everything before Descartes), and a huge part of pre-modern philosophy is all about trying to understand the concept of "change." It seems to me that one of the big differences between Catholicism and Protestantism is in how they would define the change called "conversion" and the changes involved in sanctification. The former distinguishes between "nature" (physis) and "world" / "flesh" (cosmos/sarx); while the latter tends to conflate them. But this gets me into more Greek word studies which I won't bore you with. : )

4 comments:

ginnybobinny said...

wow i so totally was going to post "hey beth! you should be a philosophy professor!" but it dawned on me... aren't you already... my mistake. you would be such a fun teacher to listen to though. however i would NEED to brush up on my philosophy and such.

ginnybobinny said...

oh greek is entirely not boring! i just never know what's going on so i don't understand any of it... but it's all good!! :) i just smile and nod... and dance like my hippo

Beth B said...

Ginny--
Wow! You've actually read my blog and have commented! I am SO HONORED! I did this thing on a lark and never expected anyone to actually respond so I can't tell you how grateful I am to you. Besides, I love that dancing hippo, and its really cool the way they choreograph their steps together among the multiple posts.

Beth B said...

Jay, I don't think so. Having been around those "single, original meaning" types at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, IL for two years, I have seen this sort of evangelical monopoly in action. Far be it from me to sound anti-intellectual (I grew up with that, and chucked it when I was twelve) but something is wrong when any one person or group claims to be the sole possessor of truth. (Even the institution of the papacy doesn't claim that: else why are there pronouncments "ex cathedra?")

Given my experience at Trinity,where professing inerrancy (not Jesus Christ!) was the mark of a Christian, I can see how that single, original meaning hermeneutic is necessary in order to support inerrancy. The whole inerancy thing grows out of the Protestant "sola scriptura" article of faith; and THAT grows out of the shards of the medieval synthesis, when the modernist quest for CERTAINTY replaced the premodern quest for TRUTH.

Drury wrote, "I’m increasingly being convinced the Bible can be read today by people today and God speaks through the Bible in ways the ancient writers would not even understand." That would have been enough to have marked him as a heretic at TEDS back when I was there in the 80's; and probably still--as long as D.A. Carson is there.

IMO their notion of truth was a very narrow one, mechanical and almost mathematical. For them, (following Descartes' lead) truth = certainty, and certainty is a matter of knowing without a doubt, and so ironically certainty begins to replace trust/faith.

Drury's Wesleyan heritage (which traces its roots back to Anglicanism and further back to Catholicism) allows him a broader notion of truth, one which can even embrace mystery. (Isn't faith a matter of accepting something you can't prove? Isn't faith being certain of something you can't see?) But Reformed Protestantism aims eliminating mystery as much as possible. (Remember Zwingli?)

It's so darn hard to control those framers, fishermen and carpenters!