Monday, August 29, 2005

A Taize Meditation


I found this on the Taize website this morning. What comforting words--that my weakness and sin are not obstacles to Christ's love. May He help me to say with Peter, "you! you!"

Brother Roger's Meditation for August, 2005

John 21:15-17

Peter was depressed after he disowned Jesus three times on the eve of the Passion. When the risen Jesus meets Peter again, however, he questions him not about what he has done but about what is deepest and truest in him, about his love. He knows that this has not disappeared in Peter, in spite of everything.


After each question, Jesus entrusts Peter with a responsibility. Precisely this weak and sinful person is loved and is called to respond. Anyone who takes on responsibilities in the communion of the Church has to discover this. To accept responsibility never means to play a role, or to show that we are strong and holy. Whoever accepts responsibility does not pretend to be better than others. The question they have to answer is not: "Are you strong; will you be capable?" But: "Do you love me? Can you love?"

Three times Peter answers: "You know…" What would we have answered? Peter must have realised how imperfectly he had behaved. Yet he does not say: "Yes, I do love you a little", or: "I will try to love you more." Had he done so, Peter would have been himself the measure of love. Instead, he leaves behind all measuring and analyzing himself, just as earlier he jumped out of the boat (v. 7). He entrusts himself to Jesus, as to a real friend.

From now on, Jesus’ friendship and love carries him. Peter does not say: "I can", or: "I will…" But: "You, you!" Then it is no longer our ability to love, or mere feelings, which are at the centre. Instead, a living person becomes the source of our love; he comes to complete our imperfect love and acts. Our weakness, even our sin, is not an obstacle for his love. From now on I can leave my weakness to Jesus. He can transform it into something I cannot imagine. And he can make me a witness of his love to others, without my knowing how.

Jesus questions us about love. Where do I see most clearly that love is at the heart of my responsibilities?

What experiences have shown me that love is more than a feeling, that we can even love without feelings of love?

No comments: