Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Sixty years since Nov. 22, 1963

 Today is the 60th anniversary of the death of JFK, Aldous Huxley and C. S. Lewis. This article in the National Catholic Register is gold.  https://www.ncregister.com/features/nov-22-1963-and-the-frontiers-of-lewis-huxley-and-kennedy

https://www.ncregister.com/features/nov-22-1963-and-the-frontiers-of-lewis-huxley-and-kennedy

I was in fourth grade when the intercom crackled on with a fuzzy radio broadcast, mid sentence. We were startled at this intrusion into our normal routine, not really understanding what was being said, but when our teacher burst into tears, we understood that Whatever It Was, It Was Not Good. My teacher told us to turn our desks toward the window and write a poem. It was snowing.

When the bus dropped me off, and I opened the heavy white door of our home, there was my mom, ironing, with the TV on. She NEVER watched TV during the day. Though my parents were staunch Republicans, and despised the Kennedys, they made it clear to me that This Was Wrong.

It would be another decade before I knew who Aldous Huxley and C.S. Lewis were.

No comments: