Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Thoughts on a memorial service during Holy Week


One of my favorite days of the church year is All Saints Day, and I especially love singing Vaughan Williams' "For All the Saints." But it was especially meaningful to sing it at today's memorial service for CF, a dear saint who now rests in Christ.

CF was C and M's mother. As a young woman, she looked much like Audrey Hepburn, and her dashing young husband could have been a double for George Clooney. Friends and family members recalled her courage, her kindness, and her curiosity. She made a difference in so many people's lives, and though I only was able to know her in her last few years, I too remember her with warmth.

While there is never a good time for death, I was greatly moved by today's service, and the way it fell so perfectly between Palm Sunday and Easter. C and M. thought carefully about it, and chose music, scripture and images that celebrated their mother's life, a life in Christ. It is a powerful thing when mourning is transformed into worship.


This afternoon I realized that "For All the Saints" is an anthem not only for November, but for Holy Week:

"But lo! there breaks a yet more glorious day;
The saints triumphant rise in bright array;
The King of glory passes on His way.
Alleluia, Alleluia!


"The King of Glory passes on His way..." and it is Palm Sunday.

"Thou wast their Rock, their Fortress and their Might;
Thou, Lord, their Captain in the well fought fight;
Thou, in the darkness drear, their one true Light.
Alleluia, Alleluia!"

"And when the strife is fierce, the warfare long,
Steals on the ear the distant triumph song,
And hearts are brave, again, and arms are strong.
Alleluia, Alleluia!"


"Thou, in the darkness drear... And when the strife is fierce, the warfare long..." and it is Good Friday.

"The golden evening brightens in the west;
Soon, soon to faithful warriors comes their rest;
Sweet is the calm of paradise the blessed.
Alleluia, Alleluia
!"

"soon to faithful warriors comes their rest..." and it is Holy Saturday.

"But lo! there breaks a yet more glorious day;
The saints triumphant rise in bright array;
The King of glory passes on His way.
Alleluia, Alleluia!"


He has risen, and we shall rise as well: it is Easter!

My mother died on a Valentine's day; my father died on Father's Day. My grandmother died on Mother's Day.

Lord, You knew the number of my days before I was even formed; but if it be Your will, I ask that I might pass into Your presence in the spring, when there are daffodils and tulips and sweet smelling daphne.
But if I might be even bolder, I ask that I might come during Holy Week, so that those who remain might remember that no grave could hold You; and believe that because of that, "neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

O blest communion, fellowship divine!
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
All are one in Thee, for all are Thine.
Alleluia, Alleluia!



No comments: