Monday, March 16, 2009

To have and to hold


I am a pastor's wife.
(I love how the Chinese have a special title for us, shi mu).

Today I keep thinking of several people who are having relationship troubles. Some are simply seeking to have better relationships with others around them. Others are in more desperate situations.
I am also reflecting on the gift I have been given in my husband.

There are some relationships where to hold is to crush

Sometimes we smother others.
Sometimes others are so free spirited, or so skittish or distracted that even to provide a safe resting place feels confining to them.

Then there are some relationships where to hold is to disintegrate .

Sometimes we are so passionate that it causes others to melt, and lose themselves.
Sometimes others are so fragile that they shatter to the touch.

But then there are some relationships where to have is to hold, and to hold is to have

Lord,

I am yours.

Hold me in your hands, that I might not be afraid to be held.
Hold me in your hands, that I might understand how you want me to hold others.

Thank you for my husband, who holds me in you.

No comments: