Thursday, October 23, 2008

Joanna writes a Poem for Lit Class


Joanna had to write a poem for her lit class this afternoon. Her teacher is a practicing Transcendentalist, so it may get her in trouble, but I was thrilled with her effort. The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.
Psalm 24
3Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD?
And who may stand in His holy place?
4He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
Who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood
And has not sworn deceitfully.
He shall receive a blessing from the LORD
And righteousness from the God of his salvation.

"It's plain that the same thing won't be willing at the same time to do or suffer opposites with respect to the same part and in relation to the same thing" --Socrates, The Republic (436B).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Untitled)

As Emerson sat thinking,
He looked up to the sky
And it seemed like the sun was winking
"Oh golly, oh gosh, oh my!

But of course I must be blinking,"
Thought he with a sad sigh,
And just as his heart sat sinking
He leapt up with a happy cry

"Whatever I'm feeling--
Whatever my heart might imply --
I can't get it by appealing,
So I'll just kiss reason good-bye!"

It may be contradicting
But Ralph Waldo cannot deny
He is part of God existing
But God's also up in the sky.

So if the sun isn't blinking
But Emerson's heart says "Try,"
For him it's not just wishful thinking
For the sun to wink way up high.

And although it's three in the morning,
Dear Ralph is still outside,
For even despite my warning
He feels the sun shines wide.

My dear you may be thinking,
"For what write this poem, and why?"
To warn you away from contradicting
For where there's contradicting, there are lies.


1 comment:

Carrie Sue said...

So sorry I didn't see this one sooner. Brilliant work, Jo.