Friday, April 11, 2008

Ups and Downs


A. is choosing to fight.

A's husband, H. and her mother, Mamma D. went into hysterics Wednesday when A. told them she couldn't stand any more chemo. "You must fight!" they insisted. Mamma D. cried about all the misfortunes in her life, the five years she spent caring for her ill husband, the losses of their property value since the war in Iraq, etc. "We cannot live without you!" cried H. "I will die if you die. Then what will happen to M.?" Lots of shouting and tears.

It all scared and shamed A. so much that she agreed to abide by whatever her doctor says to do next, when she sees him on Monday. If that means chemo, then chemo it is, "even if I am tortured, I will do it for them, and for my son. God is in control. If He wants me to go up there, then I go. If not, then I must do what I can to stay. So, Beth, please, you must support me and tell me to fight. Do not tempt me to go, or let me talk about going."

Philippians 4:11-12
"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,

To which I responded: "A., it is your choice. I am your friend, your sister in Christ. I will support you whatever you decide. Do you trust Him? Hope in Him?"

"Yes, He will help me. I am not afraid to go; but if I must stay, He will help me."

It seemed like the mirror image of Matthew 8:8-10; instead of

The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."

A's story reads like this:

"Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and I will either live or die. For I myself am a woman under authority, with a husband and family over me. They tell me go, and I go; they tell me come, and I come. I am their servant. They say to me, "do this, and I do it. So I trust you. You have all authority in heaven and on earth. I want to be your servant. You decide, and I will obey."

However, I think the conclusion of the story is the same:

When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.

Oh, how I ache for the day when Jesus can not only call A., but H., his family, and Mamma D. his friends!


No comments: