Friday, August 03, 2007

"Let's Think Outside the Box of Bad Cliches"


Gregory Pence, professor of bioethics at the University of Alabama, has written a fine essay for the August 6, 2007 Newsweek "My Turn" Column. "Sloppy writing leads to sloppy thinking, which is why I have a 'bone of contention' with trite phrases." Read it here

Keepers:

"When I grade written work by students, one of the phrases I hate most is "It goes without saying," in response to which I scribble on their essays, "Then why write it?" Another favorite of undergraduates is "It's not for me to say," to which I jot in their blue books, "Then why continue writing?"

I also despise the phrase "Who can say?" to which I reply, "You! That's who! That's the point of writing an essay!"

"...Spare me jargon from sports, such as being "on the bubble" for something. I'd also rather do without other jargon, such as "pushing the [edge of the] envelope." And has writing that we should "think outside the box" become such a cliché that it's now in-side the box?"


Yes, that one bothers me as well. See my June 12, 2007 post. "Just Wondering (#2)"

Let us now praise God for good editors!

No comments: