Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Bringing Church to A.

This past Sunday after the potluck, about 15 people accepted my invitation to come bring church to A., who was still recovering from her exploratory surgery. We all piled into A's living room, and she made her way down the stairs, sat between Steve and me on the couch and gripped my hand with all her strength, beaming.

The coffee table before us became the altar, as Steve spread out the bread and communion cups and I placed a fragrant basket of stargazers, pink roses and red and white dahlias next to them. A. has promised Jesus to bring Him flowers each Sunday; but Saturday, when she realized she would not be able to do so, I assured her I would take care of it.

It was all very upper-room. We sang some simple praise songs, had communion, prayed, and annointed A. with oil. A. was excited to be able to choose whatever song she wanted, and decided on this one:

"I love you, Lord, and I lift my voice
To worship You
Oh, my soul rejoice
Take joy, my King in what You hear
Let it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear."

H. came home just as we were praying, and was there to witness A's annointing. I laid my hand on A., and held H's, in a sort of human chain, and several of us prayed for A. Paul speaks of unbelieving husbands being sanctified through their believing wives, in 1 Cor. 7:14. I'm not exactly sure what that means but I think that H. could see that God has given A. great faith, and that some of that hope and love is streaming out to him. Her soul was clearly rejoicing in the Lord, even in the midst of terminal illness. H. lacks the Christian framework to articulate what he was experiencing, but he was visibly moved, and kept thanking us for "surrounding A. with so much positive energy."

Soon it was time to depart. Despite our protests, A. insisted on standing, as is customary in her culture, to say goodbye to her guests. Swaying, she kissed each one's hand as they left . "She's so stubborn!" H. and another friend moaned, but A. was the happiest I have seen her, and the most peaceful.

Thank you, Lord, for coming to A. and reassuring her of your love and care, so that she is not afraid to die. Please help H. to see this and wonder more about how it is possible. Please give H. and A. occasion to be truthful with each other, so that their final times together are not about pretending and false hope, but about facing reality with genuine hope. Please give H. the courage to hear things that A. needs to say, and please give A. the courage to be able to say them. Spare A. from pain, especially in her shoulder and back. Please provide for M., and help A. to be reassured that H. will raise him well. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: