Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Reinventing the Dairy


Sigh. I'm such a square peg in a round hole. I never was "modern" so it's difficult for me to get all excited like Brian McLaren and Rob Bell are about about the church in postmodern culture.

I didn't grow up Plymouth Bretheren like McLaren or in the Reformed hothouse of Grand Rapids, like Bell did. I didn't go to Wheaton, or bible camps or even church business meetings. I don't seem to have the same baggage they do, because I was born into a home where my mother was Southern Baptist and my dad was Catholic. (!)

From all that I can figure, it sounds like for them, mystery is a big deal: like they've been on a low fat diet all these years and now are tasting butter for the first time.

For sure, I have my own baggage; but I grew up with "butter" on the table. I even got to taste it later on at St. Louis University and Maryville College. I know where the butter is made, and where they serve it with bread and wine. That's why it's so hard for me to understand why emergents think they need to reinvent the Dairy.

I confess I've been sneaking "butter" for years now, but someday I won't have to. ; )

No comments: